Morphaweb

One of my hobbies is modular synthesis. One of the modules I use is Morphagene by Make Noise. By their own description:

The Morphagene music synthesizer module is a next generation tape and microsound music module that uses Reels, Splices and Genes to create new sounds from those that already exist. Search between the notes to find the unfound sounds.

It’s one of my favorite modules, but it can be a bit tricky to get sounds outside the modular system onto the Morphagene. It has a slot for an SD-card where you can place reels. The reels have to be a particular format though, and if you want to have configured your splices up front, you have to download paid software.

Morphagene in my eurorack setup

Morphagene in my eurorack setup

To work around this, I have developed a free, open source, web-based app called Morphaweb. It allows you to build reels with splice markers and export them in the correct format. All without uploading anything to a server, to protect your privacy.

My app Morphaweb

My app Morphaweb

To use it, you simply import audio by dragging it into the app, then use the waveform editor and shortcuts to add/remove splice markers. When you’re done, you can download your reel as a Morphagene-compatible wave-file.

Sun of Denmark

Winters in Denmark are very brutal because of the lack of daylight, and the COVID-lockdown of 2020 only made it worse. I didn’t use to be affected by the darkness, but living with a foreigner experiencing her first Danish winters, I became much more aware of it.

Some years back, I started following @SunOfSeldo on Twitter. It’s an account that writes daily tweets about the advancement of daylight between winter- and summer-solstice, and finds this wonderful balance between quantitative measures of minutes and seconds of added daylight, but also writing qualitative, emotionally uplifting statements about the sun.

https://twitter.com/SunOfSeldo/status/1361130358830432259

This winter, being back in Denmark, I realized that Sun of Seldo tweets about the daylight in San Francisco doesn’t map that well to Denmark. Additionally, I felt lonely having just relocated back to Denmark and being stuck in COVID-lockdown. I thought maybe I could start my own account, and @SunOfDenmark was born.

https://twitter.com/SunOfDenmark/status/1360846234546810883

I spent a bunch of time studying how to calculate the daylight of a given location, but didn’t seem to get the right numbers. I reached out to Laurie Voss, the person behind @SunOfSeldo, and he was very kind in giving me access to the tool he built to monitor the daylight for a given location, as well as providing some interesting statistics for it.

Writing #

As someone who hardly ever posts anything anywhere and work inside confidential structures normally, it felt intimidating to start tweeting. Finding my voice, especially as Danish is a very different language than English, and at this point almost less preferable or comfortable for me to write in.

The first week or two, I wrote each tweet daily, whenever I reminded myself during the day. That quickly became unsustainable, mostly because I found it hard to be creative. Instead, I started writing a week’s worth of of tweets every Sunday. The act of compounding the writing made it a much more interesting creative process. Instead of thinking about each tweet separately, I could start building up narratives, and think about a weekly progression.

Wall Art

When I moved into my apartment in Boston in 2018, I wanted to decorate my place. In recent years, I have refrained from putting posters or paintings my walls, because I feel like they become invisible to me over time.

Idea #

As a reaction to this, I started thinking about modular, low-cost, parametric DIY-art. Made in such a way that it could be reshaped regularly.

An artist I have been very inspired by is HOTTEA who makes vibrant yarn installations, often creating gradients by having hundreds or thousands of suspended strings of yarn in slightly different hues.

My thinking was, by using Rhino + Grasshopper as a parametric CAD and sketching tool, and the idea of strings of yarn in diffent constellations, I could create recipes for art works that could be mounted on my wall around specific anchor points.

Process #

I took a picture of my wall and put it in Rhino as a viewport background. Then I went into Grasshopper and started building up an anchor point generator setup that would allow me to control how many strings I’d like, and how long they would be. Assigning the color is done through reading an Image Sampler that you can put any bitmap into, and have it read the colors of pixels in the bitmap and map them in 3D.

Setting up strings and anchor points in Grasshopper

Screenshot of initial set up of anchor points and strings in Grasshopper

Setting up strings and anchor points in Grasshopper

First sketch of what a rainbow wall piece could look like

Setting up strings and anchor points in Grasshopper

Sketch of a sunset-style gradient and larger number of strings

Next steps #

An important component in this project is the anchor point. I imagine:

  • Something that mounts into a wall with a single small screw
  • A center “spool” that you can tighten the string around
  • A cover that hides the screw and the spooled and loose end part of the string
  • A cover might have to have one or more outlets that lets the string in/out